Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default RCA P46720LV Bad Green CRT

On 6 Aug, 12:44, "Kirk S." wrote:
"James Sweet" wrote in message
news:hKuti.483$mw4.371@trndny09...
wrote in message

oups.com...
On 5 Aug, 23:43, "Kirk S." wrote:

come out and they told him the green "bulb" was bad. I'm taking this

mean the CRT is bad. Given that this set is

Fix the existing crt. Every repair tech I know says its impossible but
its not difficult.

Please, elaborate on this if you would...

Sure. I've done this many a time, so wont take much notice of the
naysayers that always come along.

The trick is very simple, boost heater voltage. Not by a measly 10%,
thats semi-pointless, 33% V boost for mild cases, 66% for the worse
ones. The simplest way to boost is to add an extra turn round the
LOPTR core, just thread some pvc wire through it and hook up in series
with the heater feed. If V drops, connect the turn the other way round
to get boost.

I once did an experiment, took a set with nothing visible on screen at
all, solely due to dire emission, and hit it with IIRC +70& Vboost and
+10% EHT boost. All guns came up, brightness was fine, but tracking of
the 3 channels was a mess.

Dont boost EHT unless you understand the issues involved, dont do it
at home and dont do it on repair sets.

Ah, there is one gotcha with this boost method: the tube must never
have been touched by those dreaded cathode zapping rejuvenators. If
you see a tube that smears, boosting it is a waste of time IME.

NT