Posted to alt.machines.cnc,rec.crafts.metalworking
Snag Snag is offline

Default Mine is bigger than yours: Shop A/C notes

Proctologically Violated©® wrote:
Awl--

My latest discovery:

It is possible to have a shop that is *too cold* in August! And with
consequences....
Prior to actually having too-cold of a shop in August, I wouldna
thought either possible!

But first, a vig-net.

So ahm throwin the bull off line with one of the fairly-regular
regulars here, and natcherly we're bragging about our respective
shops. 'Course, his is makin money, and mine is sending me to the
poorhouse. Nevertheless, I'm crowing, somewhat along the lines of
broked-ness, about my 70 F shop on 95 F 100% humidity days--with
buckets and buckets and buckets of condensate to proudly show for it.

So he tells me, Yeah, I keep *my* shop at 69 F....
Yeah, yeah, yeah, right, I mumble.

So I get an email from him with an attachment, with some cryptic
enticement. Lo and behold is an image of his thermostat/thermometer,
reading.... 69 F!! One of them coffee-on-the-monitor moments. wow....
OK, so his is indeed bigger than mine...

But it did get me thinking, apropos of some other comments in
hvac-related threads, that indeed, apart from cost and it being a
little too chilly, that too cold also predisposes condensate on
metal, even with considerable moisture being taken out of the air.
Dew point, and all that.
I started seeing rust where I wouldn't have expected to see it, with
an A/C going 24/7.

So I was sort of checkmated into the following mildly inneresting
scenario:
I now have the A/C set at about 78 F, which I figger me and the cats
can live with, as long as it's dry.
But at *77* deg, it can still get pretty muggy, as the A/C won't be
running.
So what to do?

Run the dehumidifier, of course.
But which throws out boucou heat--great in the winter, problematic in
the summer.
Unless you have the A/C running, as well.

So now, as my electric meter is reflecting, I got *both* on!

Altho I haven't witnessed this yet, I imagine there is some kind of
duet going on among the two, as one is set on temp, and the other on
humidity: Both, one, the other, or neither can be running, altho
recently it's been just the dehumidifier that runs constantly.

So my g-d electric bill from these two units is likely dwarfing the
bill from the rest of the shop, altho the ratio among A/C, lites, and
machines will certainly vary depending how the shop is being used.
Lighting is no small item either, easily the equivalent of a cupla
fair-sized heaters running throughout the day--which can greatly add
to the A/C load.

But this seems to be the only way to go, if humidity *and*
temperature are to be addressed simultaneously *and* independently.

Now about the cash flow problem...

I find that my 8,000 btu unit keeps my shed/shop (8X12) at 75 degrees and
the humidity runs at around 50-70% RH (got a hygrometer out there ...) . I
only run it evenings and weekends , but have had no problems with rust ...
and the energy bill isn't all that bad . I suspect the lathe pulls more .
You do realize that the A/C is taking moisture out of the air too ? That's
the biggest reason I installed mine (yeah , right , I lie about other things
too) .
--

Snag aka OSG #1
'90 Ultra , "Strider"