Posted to alt.machines.cnc,rec.crafts.metalworking
Tom Tom is offline

Default THE fastest material removal....

BottleBob wrote:

Tom wrote:

On Mon, 06 Aug 2007 13:14:30 +1200, Tom wrote:

The fastest metal removal rate in a shop I worked in was also a grinder, a
200 hp Blanchard!

Locally we have one of 9,800 hp...

Yep, wrong, I phoned them and it's 10,725 hp.

Tom:

Someone may be pulling your leg.

Just think about the size of the power source that could make 10,000
HP.

http://www.steelservicesgrinding.com...d-grinder.html

227" Blanchard Grinder
Our largest blanchard grinder, matter in fact, its the largest
blanchard grinder in the nation. This blanchard grinder was manufactured
by Steel Services CO. Our largest blanchard grinder is configured with a
high powered, vertical spindle, rotary surface, 80" height capacity,
vacuum chuck, 400 HP, AC, main spindle motor and 200" table. See our
largest blanchard grinder.

Perhaps that's why it is next door to a 155 megawatt power generation plant?

Tom