Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Foreman Don Foreman is offline

Default seal a water leak

On Mon, 6 Aug 2007 13:51:53 -0500, "Karl Townsend"
wrote:

I'm still spending my life tending to a traveling irrigator... Man, a real
rain sure would be nice.

I have a double collar and overcenter clamp to provide a quick connect on
the four inch hose to my traveler. Its been disconnected and reattached so
many times that there now is a pinhole right where the clamp pulls up tight
on the collar.

The correct fix would be a real skilled TIG (not me) welder. But, more than
likely, a hole would get burned in the pipe and then I'd be SOL for one-two
weeks getting this custom part made.

Anyway, I want to try some sort of goo to seal it up. Its basically a pin
hole in the side of a stainless steel pipe (just a real bad spot). What
would you try? Needs to hold 120 psi.

Karl

Harris Staybrite tin-silver solder. Works at temps not much higher
than soft solder, wets and stick to SS very well, considerably
stronger than soft solder. A propane torch would be quite sufficient,
no risk of burning thru the pipe. Red heat is way too hot.

Use StayBrite flux or ordinary tinner's fluid.

Most welding stores stock it.

What the heck, if you wanna try it I'll mail you a few inches of it.
Can't mail liquid flux, though.