Posted to alt.home.repair
Ken Ken is offline

Default Conditioning old blacksmith tools

On Aug 4, 8:04 am, wrote:
While moving my mother out of her house we inherited some old
blacksmith tools. The tools show just about every grade of rust from
bad to worse but I would like to clean them and treat them. I plan on
power washing (1800 psi husky) drying out in the sun. My question is
if I plan on storing them for a year or so could I lightly treat them
with 10-30 motor oil, and when they get to there final display
destination would this grade oil slow the rust? Opinions
welcome..................Doc

I suggest removing the rust using the "battery charger" method:

http://www3.telus.net/public/aschoep...lyticrust.html

After cleaning off the rust, then coat it with wax. Any kind will do,
I use the car wax from out in the garage.

Ken