Posted to alt.home.repair
Andrew Andrew is offline

Default Need help with plumbing vent problem

On Aug 6, 10:08 am, wrote:
On Aug 6, 11:54 am, Andrew wrote:

Is there a way to check the integrity of the wax ring? If I caulked
around the bowl, would this serve as a temporary fix?

You have to remove the toilet to check the wax ring. At that point,
you may as well replace it. It's not that difficult.

If you want to do the half-a$$ed hillbilly fix, go ahead and caulk.
Just keep in mind that there's probably more wrong than just gas
leaking. Right now there's probably just a little bit of water
escaping, enough that it hasn't soaked through the ceiling downstairs,
but that ring is probably on its way out. Caulking around the base of
the toilet may block the gases, but the water is still going to drip
and destroy your ceiling at least.

Remember, I did say the caulk could be TEMPORARY fix. A true
hillbilly would make this a permanent fix. Thanks for your help. I
will replace the ring this weekend.