Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Cutting Concrete

On Aug 6, 7:55 am, Mikepier wrote:
On Aug 6, 7:48 am, wrote:

On Aug 6, 6:38 am, valvejob wrote:

On Sun, 05 Aug 2007 22:01:05 -0700, wrote:
Is there a way to score concrete that will allow me to break it with a
sledgehammer?

A concrete pad was poured years before I moved into my house and it is
right on the property line. I want to put up a fence and the post
would be on my neighbors side if I don't make room by removing enough
of the pad to allow the fence to sit on my side of the line.

Or, is there a way to cut out the concrete where the posts need to go
instead of trying to cut the length of the pad?

Hope this makes sense to all. Any advice would be appreciated.

That's exactly why god made electric jack hammers, available at all
rental places.

I don't see how a jack hammer is going to give him a clean, decent
looking opening for a fence post at the edge of a slab.

Personally, I'd go with the advice to drill holes and use bolts. Once
you cut notches into the edge of a concrete pad, leaving square inside
corners, I think you leave it open to developing cracks and
deteriorating. Plus, drilling holes sounds a lot easier.- Hide quoted text -

Using lag bolts and surface mounting the post to the concrete is no
comparison to actually burying the post in the ground as far as
strength goes.

Funny then that lally columns are routinely used in a similar fashion
to hold up houses. Or the two main posts that are holding up my front
porch. They are sitting on the metal standoffs, used to prevent rot,
and placed on top of the concrete porch.

If you are using square posts, say for like a pvc
fence, then rent a demolition hammer/chisel tool and notch out a
square outline on the concrete surface, then chisel out the middle.
You should only have to go down 4 inches.
If you are using round posts, you can do the same with the chisel
hammer or rent a core drill.
I've seen posts that were lagged to the concrete that were ripped out
when someone put excessive force against it.- Hide quoted text -