Posted to alt.home.repair
Jeff Wisnia Jeff Wisnia is offline

Default toilet leak (sweat)

Dan K wrote:
This weekend I had to replace the toilet works and it was the first time I
had ever had the tank off a toilet. When I got it back together, the tank
did not level properly and I now have a very slow drip coming off the tank
in the front right corner that I'm guessing is condensed water (sweat). If
so, where does the sweat go if the tank is properly leveled? Does it just
stay spread out and have a better chance of evaporating before it hits the
floor? We will probably junk the toilet and get a newer one that uses less
water and has an insulated tank, but I'm curious about the sweat because I
don't remember the floor being wet in the summer, and the sweat can't
evaporate all that fast when its really humid, so where does it go? Of
coarse, I'm a guy, so the floor might have been wet all summer long and I
just didn't noticed it.

Dan

Are you certain it's condensation?

I sure hope you didn't overtighten the tank hold down bolts and start a
small crack in the tank.

But, maybe the tank to bowl gasket is not sealing properly, did you
replace it or reuse the old one?

Can you avoid using the toilet for a day and wait for the tank to come
up to room temperature, which should stop the condensation, and see if
it's still dripping, which would be a sure sign of a leak.

Alternatively, could you pour a bucket of fairly hot water into the tank
just as it starts to fill, which should also prevent sweating and let
you see if the drip is still occuring.

If it does thurn out to be the gasket leaking , slathering a bit of
silicone caulk on both sides of the old gasket will usually make it seal
up "tighter than a bull's arse in fly season."

Just my .02,

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia