Posted to alt.home.repair
Banty Banty is offline

Default Do I need a de-humidifier?

In article .com, lagman
says...

All,

I'm trying to decide whether or not to invest in a de-humidifier. I
just bought a house with a finished basement (first house I have ever
had with a basement). When we were looking at the house, I noticed
the previous owner didn't have one in the basement. I think it is
comfortable, but my wife thinks it feels too humid (we have had a
couple weeks of very humid weather).

That the previous owner didn't have one when you looked at the house for sale,
does *not* mean he didn't use one. He just didn't want it around during the
sale sitting there screaming "humid basement, humid basement" ;-)

Now, at least around here, just about any basement has some humidity. So do
invest in one. Mine is from Sears and has a humidistat. It doesn't go on
unless it's needed, and I can set it.

My main concern is mold growth. I am going to put a hygrometer down
there to measure the humidity. At what level should I be concerned?
I should also mention that once our furniture gets here, it will
contain a big screen LCD TV and some stereo equipment (I'm not sure if
a humid basement can damage electronics or not).

If I do need one, is there any advantage to putting a lot of money
into one of these things? I see a 25 pint model at Lowes for $139.

Mine from Sears was a little more than that.

Truly, don't chinz on this - get one even if you don't need it year round. Its
cost will pale next to everything else you'll need to deal with over the years
as a homeowner ;-)

Cheers,
Banty