Posted to alt.home.repair
Jeff Jeff is offline

Default Do I need a de-humidifier?

Yes, soon or later you will find mold on things. Worse time of year is late
spring when your basement is cool from winter but outside air is becoming
warm and humid. I have been happy with mine from Sears. At least they
still stand behind their products better than Lowes or Home Deport which
don't have their own brands.

Fortunately I have a drain in my basement floor by my dehumidifier so I
could connect a hose from the water tank so I don't have to remember to
empty it.

"lagman" wrote in message
oups.com...
All,

I'm trying to decide whether or not to invest in a de-humidifier. I
just bought a house with a finished basement (first house I have ever
had with a basement). When we were looking at the house, I noticed
the previous owner didn't have one in the basement. I think it is
comfortable, but my wife thinks it feels too humid (we have had a
couple weeks of very humid weather).

My main concern is mold growth. I am going to put a hygrometer down
there to measure the humidity. At what level should I be concerned?
I should also mention that once our furniture gets here, it will
contain a big screen LCD TV and some stereo equipment (I'm not sure if
a humid basement can damage electronics or not).

If I do need one, is there any advantage to putting a lot of money
into one of these things? I see a 25 pint model at Lowes for $139.

Thanks,
Dan