Posted to alt.machines.cnc,rec.crafts.metalworking
Proctologically Violated©® Proctologically Violated©® is offline

Default Mine is bigger than yours: Shop A/C notes

wrote in message
oups.com...
On Aug 6, 12:54 pm, "Proctologically Violated©®"
wrote:
Awl--

Lighting is no small item either, easily the equivalent of a cupla
fair-sized heaters running throughout the day--which can greatly add to
the
A/C load.

Now about the cash flow problem...
--
------

I don't know what kind of lighting you have, but flourescent lights
are a lot more efficient. Even if you have flourescent lights, it
might be worthwhile to switch to T8 lamps.

I have both T12 and T8, the T8's accumulating as HD has the 4-footers for
$7.
But they charge over $6 for the g-d bulbs--2 pak. Can get'em for about
$1-$1.50 each at Sam's, iirc, in 10 paks.
Soft/warm whites are much more, tho.

These fixtures as a whole are rated at 2x40 (T12), or 2x32(T8), but I'm
betting the whole thing is closer to 100 W.
Hopefully the lumen output is much greater than the same wattage
incandescant--would be inneresting to know the actual comparison.
========================

At this time of the year, you might also be able to find some sales on
high efficiency air conditioners. A relatively small one that would
run nearly continuously ought to let you just run the air conditioner
without running the dehumidifier. Neither of these things will help
your short term cash flow, but will help in the longer run.
==========================

That's actually an excellent idea. Clearly without heating up the place,
nor cooling it down too much.
However, I am sort of condemned to an Amana portable, which I think only
puts out about 7K, and that's probably optimistic. I think the smallest
window unit, which I couldn't use anyway, would be about 6K.
I believe the Sam's club dehumidifiers, about 600 W, are equiv to about a
4-5K A/C.
But your point, in a bigger shop, seems to be on the money.
AND, you get boucou "free" and perty pure water.

As it is turning out, the shop is cool-er to begin with, and even with the
dehumidifier going, I don't think the A/C kicks in.

I was going to go with a mini-split (esp now that I've got a punched hole
through the 2-foot foundation wall for the amana hose--wow....), but if the
crappy portable is doing the job to excess, imagine what a mini-split would
do!
In fact, I installed the Amana as a sort of trial run, and was very
surprised.

How crappy is the Amana?
So much so, the PC Richards guy was discouraging me from buying it!
No power, he said.
But, so far it hasn't broken (second year, heavy use up until now), and the
chinese quality on these things at least does not have me gnashing my teeth.
And it did the job!
Also, it can spit out the condensate with the hot air, if you choose.
Really pretty neat, AND I think this increases efficiency, somewhat.
--
------

Absolutely Vote, but NOT for a Democrat or a Republican.
Ending Corruption in Congress is the *Single Best Way*
to Materially Improve Your Family's Life.
The Solution is so simple--and inexpensive!

all d'numbuhs

Dan