Posted to alt.home.repair
willshak willshak is offline

Default Ice maker

on 8/6/2007 9:43 AM Stacia said the following:
The fridge that came with our house has an ice maker that keeps
breaking. I was wondering if you guys had any thoughts.
It's a GE Hotpoint side-by-side unit, just 3 years old, with a water
filter inside the fridge and an ice and water dispenser on the freezer
door. The water has never come out of the dispenser very fast (we've had
the fridge a year and a half, I have no idea how it worked before we
bought the house).
First the ice maker stopped making ice. A repairman came out, defrosted
the upper part of the auger mechanism, and it worked for a day. On the
second day the freezer started making horrible screeching noises which
turned out to be ice forming in the motor. The repairman refused to come
out, saying we should just defrost the motor ourselves because it was
cheaper than paying him to do it. We did and the unit worked for a couple
weeks when it stopped again. We defrosted the lower part of the auger
which is attached to the ice cube tray and everything seemed to work fine
until we realized water was leaking out from under the bottom of the
fridge.
Again, the repairman wouldn't come out. He said it was "just" ice
forming in various parts and this was normal because "it's in the freezer,
you know". We defrosted the plastic line that goes from the filter to the
ice making unit and re-attached it, but the fridge still leaked water. It
stops leaking when we turn off the ice machine so the leak is definitely
related to the ice maker.
So that's where we're at. We haven't had a chance to have a different
repairman out and won't for a couple weeks. I'm tired of putting
store-bought ice in the tray Any thoughts?

Stacia

What is the temperature set at in your freezer? I had the same problem
with my fridge/freezer and Sears sent out a repairman (under extended
warranty). He defrosted the water line to the ice maker and told us to
raise the freezer temperature a degree or so and try it. He said if it
still freezes up, defrost the line with a hair blower and raise the temp
another degree or so until it no longer freezes. Be also advised that
if the ice is not used for a long time after the bin fills and the ice
maker shuts off, the water in the line may freeze due to its just
sitting in the cold line.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY