Posted to alt.home.repair
Doobielicious Doobielicious is offline

Default Do I need a de-humidifier?

i don't think a 25 pint model will cut it. Also check to see how mus square
footage the unit is rated for.

"lagman" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Aug 6, 8:23 am, lagman wrote:
All,

I'm trying to decide whether or not to invest in a de-humidifier. I
just bought a house with a finished basement (first house I have ever
had with a basement). When we were looking at the house, I noticed
the previous owner didn't have one in the basement. I think it is
comfortable, but my wife thinks it feels too humid (we have had a
couple weeks of very humid weather).

My main concern is mold growth. I am going to put a hygrometer down
there to measure the humidity. At what level should I be concerned?
I should also mention that once our furniture gets here, it will
contain a big screen LCD TV and some stereo equipment (I'm not sure if
a humid basement can damage electronics or not).

If I do need one, is there any advantage to putting a lot of money
into one of these things? I see a 25 pint model at Lowes for $139.

Thanks,
Dan

I should also mention the basement area is about 700SF.

Thanks,
Dan