Posted to alt.home.repair
Kate Kate is offline

Default Conditioning old blacksmith tools

"Joe" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Aug 4, 7:04 am, wrote:
While moving my mother out of her house we inherited some old
blacksmith tools. The tools show just about every grade of rust from
bad to worse but I would like to clean them and treat them. I plan on
power washing (1800 psi husky) drying out in the sun. My question is
if I plan on storing them for a year or so could I lightly treat them
with 10-30 motor oil, and when they get to there final display
destination would this grade oil slow the rust? Opinions
welcome..................Doc

Before you power wash the items, check out Permatex Rust Dissolver
Gel, #81756 8oz. bottle or # 82138 sray can. These are competently
formulated versions on the well known Parkerizing or iron phosphating
process. More effective and less work then wire brushing and leaves a
rust rsistant coating behind, suitable for whatever protectant you
want, or even paint if you'd rather. Some of the shop results I've
seen so far in car restorations are quite impressive. HTH

Joe

Adding just a little to Joe's solution, which is the right one...
I would like to suggest that after you get them nice and clean... how about
a nice coat of semi gloss polyurethane?

I've used it on things like an old milk pitcher and old tools. It works
great. Even a coat of tung oil would leave a nice finish without ruining the
look of rustic metal with paint.

--
Kate
______