Posted to alt.machines.cnc,rec.crafts.metalworking
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh Lloyd E. Sponenburgh is offline

Default Mine is bigger than yours: Shop A/C notes

"Proctologically Violated©®" wrote in
message ...

Altho I haven't witnessed this yet, I imagine there is some kind of duet
going on among the two, as one is set on temp, and the other on humidity:
Both, one, the other, or neither can be running, altho recently it's
been just the dehumidifier that runs constantly.

So my g-d electric bill from these two units is likely dwarfing the bill
from the rest of the shop, altho the ratio among A/C, lites, and machines
will certainly vary depending how the shop is being used.
Lighting is no small item either, easily the equivalent of a cupla
fair-sized heaters running throughout the day--which can greatly add to
the A/C load.

But this seems to be the only way to go, if humidity *and* temperature are
to be addressed simultaneously *and* independently.

Proper dehumdification with an AC unit hinges critically on the size of the
unit vs. the required size -- i.e. heat gain of the structure.

An AC system dehumidifies effectively only when it runs long enough to
condense the moisture. An oversized unit will not run with a high enough
duty cycle to do the job. If undersized, of course, it runs too much. Peak
periods with a properly sized unit will probably see the AC on about 70% of
the time.

The dew point in a properly conditioned area will always be well below the
air temperature, so it's not a worry. However, equipment near a frequently
used entrance or leaky window may condense.

Most shops down hear in the Sayouth keep their air fairly warm, but nicely
dry. At 78F, you still feel comfortably cool if the RH in the room is low
enough, and the air is kept moving.

BTW... fans in a shop are a good idea. Especially if you're on a slab, the
relative humidity will be higher in some zones than others. Keeping the air
moving helps the AC remove the moisture evenly.

LLoyd