Posted to alt.machines.cnc,rec.crafts.metalworking
Proctologically Violated©® Proctologically Violated©® is offline

Default Mine is bigger than yours: Shop A/C notes

Awl--

My latest discovery:

It is possible to have a shop that is *too cold* in August! And with
consequences....
Prior to actually having too-cold of a shop in August, I wouldna thought
either possible!

But first, a vig-net.

So ahm throwin the bull off line with one of the fairly-regular regulars
here, and natcherly we're bragging about our respective shops.
'Course, his is makin money, and mine is sending me to the poorhouse.
Nevertheless, I'm crowing, somewhat along the lines of broked-ness, about my
70 F shop on 95 F 100% humidity days--with buckets and buckets and buckets
of condensate to proudly show for it.

So he tells me, Yeah, I keep *my* shop at 69 F....
Yeah, yeah, yeah, right, I mumble.

So I get an email from him with an attachment, with some cryptic enticement.
Lo and behold is an image of his thermostat/thermometer, reading.... 69 F!!
One of them coffee-on-the-monitor moments. wow....

OK, so his is indeed bigger than mine...

But it did get me thinking, apropos of some other comments in hvac-related
threads, that indeed, apart from cost and it being a little too chilly,
that too cold also predisposes condensate on metal, even with considerable
moisture being taken out of the air.
Dew point, and all that.
I started seeing rust where I wouldn't have expected to see it, with an A/C
going 24/7.

So I was sort of checkmated into the following mildly inneresting scenario:

I now have the A/C set at about 78 F, which I figger me and the cats can
live with, as long as it's dry.
But at *77* deg, it can still get pretty muggy, as the A/C won't be running.

So what to do?

Run the dehumidifier, of course.
But which throws out boucou heat--great in the winter, problematic in the
summer.
Unless you have the A/C running, as well.

So now, as my electric meter is reflecting, I got *both* on!

Altho I haven't witnessed this yet, I imagine there is some kind of duet
going on among the two, as one is set on temp, and the other on humidity:
Both, one, the other, or neither can be running, altho recently it's
been just the dehumidifier that runs constantly.

So my g-d electric bill from these two units is likely dwarfing the bill
from the rest of the shop, altho the ratio among A/C, lites, and machines
will certainly vary depending how the shop is being used.
Lighting is no small item either, easily the equivalent of a cupla
fair-sized heaters running throughout the day--which can greatly add to the
A/C load.

But this seems to be the only way to go, if humidity *and* temperature are
to be addressed simultaneously *and* independently.

Now about the cash flow problem...
--
------

Absolutely Vote, but NOT for a Democrat or a Republican.
Ending Corruption in Congress is the *Single Best Way*
to Materially Improve Your Family's Life.
The Solution is so simple--and inexpensive!

all d'numbuhs