Posted to alt.home.repair
BobK207 BobK207 is offline

Default Cutting Concrete

On Aug 5, 10:01 pm, wrote:
Is there a way to score concrete that will allow me to break it with a
sledgehammer?

A concrete pad was poured years before I moved into my house and it is
right on the property line. I want to put up a fence and the post
would be on my neighbors side if I don't make room by removing enough
of the pad to allow the fence to sit on my side of the line.

Or, is there a way to cut out the concrete where the posts need to go
instead of trying to cut the length of the pad?

Hope this makes sense to all. Any advice would be appreciated.

Yes & Yes.

How many posts? How thick is the slab? Any rebar or wire?

How good do you want this to look?

Saw cuts can easily be made by a commercial concrete cutter (even
through rebar) but the cuts will extend into the "good" part of the
slab.

Consider a triangular cut instead of a square cut....fewer saw kerfs
into the good concrete

Maybe you could have the slab cored large enough to set the posts
through it?

There are lots of ways to do this..... all depends on how much time &
money you're willing to spend and what your desired end product is.

If the slab is thick enough you could just core a 2.5" hole & grout in
pipe with an angle welded to it. Chamfer one corner of the post & lag
into the post through the angle legs (both directions). Now you've
got a permanent, moment resisting post base. Much longer lasting than
a post in concrete but not the pretty thing.

cheers
Bob