Posted to alt.home.repair
Harry K Harry K is offline

Default Air in Well Water System?

On Aug 5, 12:13 pm, Vic Dura wrote:
On Sun, 5 Aug 2007 13:19:56 -0400, "Keith Stelter"
wrote Re Air in Well Water System?:

I got a new well put in about 3 years ago . It's down about 80 feet, and the
guy who put it in said that the water level was at about 65 feet at the time
(giving me 15 feet of water in the well). It has a submersible pump and I
have an 80 gallon bladder tank that I put in last year. Recently when the
pump kicks on there is air in the pipe that gets pushed up into the system
before the water starts pumping in. You can hear it for about 10 seconds,
and when you turn on faucets you get a blast of air before the water comes
out. As soon as the air purges out there is no problem until the pump runs
again. If I open several faucets to keep the pump running it will run water
with no air in it at all. I know that the only check valve in the system is
built into the pump at the bottom of the well, and I'm wondering if that
check valve failing could cause this problem. The bladder tank pre-charge is
set at 40 PSI, and the pump is set to turn on at 45 and off at 60 PSI. I
don't know if a hole in the bladder would cause this situation or not? I
drained the whole system down and the bladder tank still measured 40 PSI
with the pump off and the pressure all drained from the system.

My guesses would be:

1) faulty check valve

and/or

2) leak in piping system that allows air to enter the pipes as water
flows back through the check valve
--
To email me directly, remove CLUTTER.- Hide quoted text -

Since it is impossible for air to be sucked into a pressurized system,
the only way air could be sucked in is for the system to drain down to
zero pressure first.

Failure of a footvalve (in the pump in this case) would result in the
system draining to zero at each pump shut off and suck in air at that
time or for the pump to repeatedly cycle keeping the pressure at or
above cut-in and again no way for air to be "sucked in".

Well water commonly contains entrained air that will separate in the
pressure tank. That would be my guess at his problem but it does seem
a bit extreme.

Harry K