Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Brent Brent is offline

Default Setting Lathe compound at precise angle, a Real Keeper!!!

On Aug 5, 12:50 pm, Nick Mueller wrote:
spaco wrote:
I just summarized a recent post for myself, so I can add it to my own
"machining hints" notebook.

While you are collecting taper-tips:

When taking off the taper from an existing one, it is important, that the
dial indicator's tip is at center height. If it is just off by 1%
(heightwise of the centerline, relative to the diameter), the error will be
about 3% in diameter.

When I had to make a collet holder for ER collets, I took off the taper from
a collet. Therefore, I turned some bar with two lands with exactly the same
diameter. Slipped the collet over it and took off the taper with a dial
indicator.
The bar looked like this (if my explanation was hard to understand) (only
one half shown):

######################## - collet
########################
| |

HTHL (hope that helps later),
Nick

Thank you both

I just printed this post to act as a simple quick reference for me.

Brent
Ottawa Canada