Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default lead paint testkit

What can I say, the Golden Gate isn't as it was - Eco's forced
a paint change. Just like they did on the Naval ships - but that caused
problems with the hull.

Marti

Martin H. Eastburn
TSRA, Life; NRA LOH & Endowment Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot's Medal.
http://lufkinced.com/

Joseph Gwinn wrote:
In article .com,
wrote:

Does anyone have a lead paint testing kit? I am curious if the tools
and machines we use every day have lead in the paint just like the
toys do. If I can find a kit, I'm going to test my Grizzly mill/drill.
I know it was made in China.

At least for houses in New England, it's arguably a legal blunder to get
a private house tested for lead paint. Most houses built before 1978
have lead paint - it was the good stuff, and was widely used, especially
on exteriors. And lead paint stayed bright white, even as it weathered.
White houses are an icon in New England.

That it was poisonous was also widely known, for centuries. So, you
kept the paint in good repair.

Then the world changed, lead was a bad thing. But all those icons were
still white, thick with lead. Millions of them.

When one sells a house these days, one is asked to certify its freedom
from lead paint. But you can also say "unknown" if it has never been
formally tested. It has no obvious effect on the marketability of an
old house to say "unknown", so that's what's done. Nobody is fooled.

Joe Gwinn