Posted to alt.machines.cnc,rec.crafts.metalworking
Gary H. Lucas Gary H. Lucas is offline

Default THE fastest material removal....

"john" wrote in message
news

Proctologically Violated©® wrote:

Awl--

Volume-wise, of course.
Opinions?

I read some time ago somewhere that it was drilling.

This surprised me, as I thought the drill point, being essentially zero
sfm, would act as a limiting factor.
Intuitively I figgered it would be lathe turning, as the tool is moving
along a large surface, so chip removal is almost a non-issue, and coolant
is "more effective" than it would be on a buried cutter, and here the
tool is essentially never buried, etc.

But mebbe it could be something like a large-kerf circular saw blade?
Mebbe a saw blade moving along like a Dumont grinder on a lathe??

The machine with the most HP.

I have a 30 hp swing grinder that will chew off metal as fast as most any
drill or milling machine.

John

The fastest metal removal rate in a shop I worked in was also a grinder, a
200 hp Blanchard!

Gary H. Lucas