Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

Default Cost to relocate electric service drop

On Aug 5, 7:00 am, "RBM" rbm2(remove wrote:
As others have said, the solution to your situation depends upon lots of
variables, like who owns what. In my area the utility would have you do
what's necessary to protect "their" service drop from "your" tree branches.
I would think that the most sensible thing to do would be to relocate the
service underground. The cost of that can vary wildly as well. In my area,
there are two electric utilities. One allows direct burial cable to be
installed. For me to run 100 feet 4/0 direct burial cable from meter box on
house to riser on pole including trench, would probably cost about $2000.
The other utility requires a 4 inch HDPE conduit to be run, so the same job
would be another $500. In your area the utility company may do it themselves
and charge a per foot fee. I'd suggest calling either a local electrician or
the utility and ask some questions

"Reed Hurtt" wrote in message

ink.net...

Looking for a "ballpark" cost to have a residential service line
re-routed.

snip

Just some stats that may be useful: we are readying a rehab project
for underground service now to avoid removing trees that have
surrounded the 'drop' . Our power company (AmerenIP) in cenral
Illinois requires a 3" PVC conduit for burial. The other requirement
is no more tha one 45 degree bend in the run. At the house and the
pole there must be a 90 dgree bend, galavnized only. These two are
pricey, $135 apiece at our distributor. The meter base is larger, an
offset Type 2 , IIRC. Same price as smaller ones, $43. Power company
supplies and pulls wire to meter base and hooks up to their
connections. If my electrical sub has his work in place by then, I've
got power in palace. The guy with the Ditch Witch owes me one so that
is free. So I'm out of pocket about $500 max for a 65 foot run. I
suspect that many places in the country will comparable, so $1000 or
less ought to cover most situations. Might be higher in the sovereign
country of California g.

Joe