Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

Default Breaker on #6 copper

In wire sizes 10-12-14, the NEC limits the ampacity to 30-20-15 regardless
of insulation type, but in larger sizes the NEC allows different amperages
depending upon insulation type, as well as other factors

"Tony" wrote in message
Doug: no disrespect to you are any one ales in this forum,
I have no degree to speak of so I am not going to contradict you
But from my understanding insulation do not have anything
to do with wire Ampacity or in the other words capacity to
carry amount of current. Wire insulation rating is for soly purpose
where that wire can be used to be able to carry it's rated current.
example # 10 wire insulated with rubber is good up to maximum
140 Deg. F regardless if is carrying 30 amps. or 10 amps.
because at that temp. rubber will start to melt.
I use lot of glass cover wire and Teflon but # 10 wire is good
only for up 30 amps. higher amperage requires larger conductor
8 or 6 whatever I may need so I don't see insulation been factor here
I am sorry that is the way I see it
Tony
www.cas-environ.com

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
. net...
In article pFkti.3844$J13.1918@trnddc02, "Tony"
wrote:

And for any General use #6 wire three in conduit is rated for 65 Amps.

That is incorrect -- the ampacity depends on the insulation. Type TW or
UF
6AWG conductors, for example, have an ampacity of 55A.

--
Regards,