Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
spaco spaco is offline

Default Setting Lathe compound at precise angle, a Real Keeper!!!

I just summarized a recent post for myself, so I can add it to my own
"machining hints" notebook. This one is one of those real keepers, as
far as I am concerned. Thanks to the original poster and the guys who
answered him.
Pete Stanaitis.

The Question:
I'd like to try to turn some short tapers with a lathe. I'd be interested
in suggestions on how to set a fairly precise angle.

Answers:

1. If you have a sample of the taper needed:
You start with a piece with that known taper mounted in the lathe and
centered. Then you mount a dial test indicator in the toolpost and crank
the compound rest back and forth watching the needle (indicating the
taper, obviously). When the needle doesn't move, you have matched the
taper.

2. If you don't have a sample of the taper needed:
Fairly precise? With the engraved numbers on the cross slide.
Preciser? With a cylindrical round in the chuck, a dial indicator on the
compound and feeding a known distance with the compound. The rest is math.

3. If you don't have a sample of the taper needed:
A guy I used to work with had a sine bar that had a base which was
mounted between centers. The actual sine bar was hinged. I think he held
the gage blocks and all together with rubber bands. I suppose he used a
dead center under pressure to keep everything from moving.