Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stuart Noble Stuart Noble is offline

Default Removing bitumen (?) paint from bricks

nafuk wrote:
On 3 Aug, 19:39, Stuart Noble wrote:
George wrote:
"Stuart Noble" wrote in message
George wrote:
"nafuk" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi, I've built an extension and an outside wall is now inside. I want
to paint the wall white. The wall has been painted by the previous
owners with some thick black bitumen paint.
Trying to remove some using a wire brush on a drill or a 4" grinder
does remove some of it but leaves a smear that can be removed quite
well with a rag and some petrol!
There is a quite alot of this wall so:
do I need to remove this stuffbefore painting?
if I do, is there a quicker/better way than wire brushing?
Thank you
Coat the stuff in paraffin and immediatly use a power washer on it,you
might
have to repeat the process a couple of times but it takes the pain out
of
doing it rigoressly.
Should be fun indoors
I'm going on the assumption of as he has just built the extension it will be
still the barebones of concrete floor and bricks and mortar. :-P

Hope so. It's going to get quite messy by the sound of it :-)
I once stripped a whole gable end wall with paint stripper (15 litres in
all IIRC), which was much faster and easier than I thought. The paint
came off cleanly in 4" strips and could just be swept up dry at the end
of the day.

Thank you for the replies. It is still bare bones. Does anyone know if
there is a paint stripper that will deal with bitumen paint? Otherwise
it the angle grinder wire brush and paraffin, and a lot of time.
Cheers

Any stripper in a metal can should do it. Whether it will lift in quite
the same way paint does I'm not sure. Get a small can from one of the
sheds and try it.