Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
mac davis mac davis is offline

Default Dust collection on a lathe?

On Sat, 04 Aug 2007 19:46:10 GMT, "Wade Lippman" wrote:

My lathe is in the garage because I don't have room for it in my shop.

I just upgraded from a 2hp canister DC to a cyclone. I have been trying to
sell the DC for $225 for a month now, and I had to get it out of the shop to
make way for a new bandsaw. I was planning on pulling the motor and
scrapping the rest, but then thought about using it on the lathe. So I gave
away an old refrigerator next to the lathe and put the DC there. Haven't
tried it yet, as I still have to put in a 240v circuit in for it.

Now someone wants to buy the DC, but I have kinda gotten attached to the
idea of using it with the lathe.
How well does dust collection work on lathes? I don't wear hearing
protection now, but would have to with the DC running; and that isn't
attractive.
Should I use it or sell it?

I find that the DC works very well with the lathe, but as it's not a "shaving
collector" I pretty much reserve it's use for sanding...

After trying several hoods, nozzles, pickups, etc., I've found what works for me
is a 4" to 2.5" reducer and a couple of feet of shop vac hose held to the tool
rest or bed with a harbor freight "100 pound" (yeah right) retrieval magnet that
was about $5...

The 4" has more volume, but the smaller hose really sucks.. lol
The main reason that I ended up with the vac hose though, is that I found that I
have less dust in the shop whit a smaller hose closer to the work than a large
hood... more focused, I guess...

I can hand sand a spindle or power sand a bowl and see the dust being pulled
into the hose... works well for me, anyway..
As for shavings, I just sweep them up whenever the lathe is off... shavings
don't float into my lungs or cover the shop with dust..

If you keep the DC for the noise, is it worth an $80 investment to make it
quieter?
I bought one of these after kinda surveying this group and the wRECk and it
makes a LOT of difference in noise level..

http://www.pennstateind.com/store/sup1000.html

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing