Al Borowski

Default Thanks for the tip on the HP32 calculator!

I'm delurking here :-)

Robert Swinney wrote:
Rozen sez, glibly!

"(translation, 'I can't figure those darn things out?')"

Naw, Jim -- I liken it to climbing down a ladder with 2 rungs missing from
the bottom. You have it figured OK but it is still a damned uncomfortable
situation to be in. The more you climb that defective ladder, the more
aggravating it becomes.

Bob (RPN is like trying to run CNC with no manual machining experience)
Swinney

I think RPN is probably more trouble then its worth on the simple
calculators. The stack is only 4 levels deep, so there's the possibility
of overflowing it. Also you can only see working as numbers, not what
you entered to calculate the result. So if you make a typo it can't be
found easily.

However, its a different story on the higher end calcs. You can see
things pretty clearly and tell if you have made a mistake pretty easily.

see http://alpage.ath.cx/hptute/example.gif for an example formula. It's
easy to type in RPN mode - how about algebraic? :-)

http://alpage.ath.cx/hptute/bigrpn.gif shows the steps, one screenshot
per keystroke.

http://alpage.ath.cx/hptute/hptute2.htm
http://alpage.ath.cx/hptute/hptute4.htm

shows some other examples.

Of course, it's purely personal preference. Hardly worth a war over :-)

cheers,

Al