Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic
YD[_2_] YD[_2_] is offline

Default +12 to -12 converter

PeteS wrote:

Tom Del Rosso wrote:
"John Larkin" wrote in
message
It's like with Saabs: great cars to drive, between fires.

That's just a Saab story.

I've heard of tantalums exploding if reversed, but otherwise there
must be some parameter that's being pushed. Voltage not derated
enough?

Tants have a problem with surge currents more than voltage, which is
why they are not usually suitable for the input to a supply, and are
ok at the output provided it's a fairly stable load and can be soft
started. The critical rating for me is the rms and peak current v.
temp.

Cheers

PeteS

Guess I could look this up, but what makes tants more/less desirable
for which reasons?

- YD.