Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design
Chris Jones Chris Jones is offline

Default ThinkPad finally shipped...

Jim Thompson wrote:

I just got a notice that my ThinkPad has finally shipped.

I promised my old Sony Vaio to a granddaughter.

What is recommended to scrub it of client files and PSpice?

I wouldn't want proprietary information to fall into the wrong hands
if she lost it.

...Jim Thompson

There are plenty of bootable CDs (e.g. probably "Ultimate Boot CD" with
utilities that will wipe everything well enough that the drive itself would
be unable to read any data from the disk, and any other method that
possibly might get some data from the disk would be very costly indeed.

You will then have to re-install the OS and software.

Any method that does not involve wiping the OS is in my opinion more risky
because it would rely on knowing where the OS does / does not store user
data, which I think would be very hard to know with confidence.

Chris