Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design
John Larkin John Larkin is offline

Default ThinkPad finally shipped...

On Fri, 27 Jul 2007 23:35:50 GMT, Joerg
wrote:

John Larkin wrote:

On Fri, 27 Jul 2007 16:02:30 -0700, Jim Thompson
wrote:

I just got a notice that my ThinkPad has finally shipped.

I promised my old Sony Vaio to a granddaughter.

What is recommended to scrub it of client files and PSpice?

I wouldn't want proprietary information to fall into the wrong hands
if she lost it.

...Jim Thompson

Delete the files and defrag it; that's probably good enough.

There are commercial disk wipers that write all over the drive to
really lose stuff, but how many laptop thieves have sophisticated data
recovery tools?

What about letting the webcam record afterwards until it stops because
the disk is full, then delete that "video"?

Anything that fills up the drive should work. You could do that by
manually copying files and folders for a few minutes, or I could write
Jim a 2-line PowerBasic program that would output stuff until the disk
is full.

John