DoN. Nichols

Default Thanks for the tip on the HP32 calculator!

In article ,
Spehro Pefhany wrote:
On 18 Apr 2004 00:46:03 -0400, the renowned (DoN.
Nichols) wrote:

In article ,
Spehro Pefhany wrote:
On Sat, 17 Apr 2004 08:42:19 -0700, the renowned "Robert Swinney"
wrote:

[ ... ]

Nah, the stack on early HP calculators was 4 levels.

It depends on what you mean by "early". The 9200 and 9200B
desktop machines (which is where I got my start programming HP
calculators) were three levels of stack -- with real *core* memory, and a

[ ... ]

Handheld, of course. I picked up one of those (the 9200B) at a
stationery shop in Downey CA back in the early eighties for song
($40), with JPL stickers all over it. CRT display. Gold-plated PCBs.
VERY nice, and it still worked. Unfortunately it disappeared last time
we moved to a new house. Very sad, it was a beautiful example of
American engineering. It cost about $4000.00 in '68 according to an
old (hardcover) HP catalog I had. Back when HP was a real instrument
company.

I wish that I had one.

It also had a clamshell printer which fit on top of the case
like a toupee, and it printed on an electro-sensitive paper (conductive

[ ... ]

I never saw that.

You may have noticed near the front on the top curve of the case
were a pair of screws which were normally screwed in flush with the top.
You unscrewed them a short distance, and a pair of lock levers took
those and used them to clamp the printer in place.

So -- when I got my HP-45, I was already comfortable with RPN,
and also with a slipstick.

Enjoy,
DoN.

The HP-35 and 45 were just a bit before my time- I knew of them, but
couldn't afford (or justify) them.

The 35 I resisted, but when the 45 came out, I decided to bite.
I never regretted it.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
(too) near Washington D.C. |