Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Default ESR Meter - Roll your own

Tom Del Rosso wrote:

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message

Send that irritating AFLAC Duck to bug him? As soon as he finishes
eating that damn Geico Gecko, that is. ;-)

I don't even like the Geico Gecko. I found the Dell Dude less irritating.

Anyway, alligator clips do change by several times 0.01 ohm when they move
slightly, so what happens when you clip them together, zero it, then
separate them and clip them to the DUT? Maybe if it was a Fluke it would
come with better clips, but ordinary alligator clips don't seem adaquate.

I don't use alligator clips with the ESR meter. I have some of the
old fashion H. H. Smith test probes with very sharp tips. (Think steel
78 phono needles) that are stuck into the tinned lead, (or solder on a
PC board.) then I zero the meter. OTOH I have a set of the insulation
piercing alligator clips made for telco work. One jaw has a bunch of
VERY sharp pins that go though insulation or corrosion to make a low
resistance connection. I don't know where you would buy them. They may
be old Western Union equipment.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell