Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design
Jim Thompson Jim Thompson is offline

Default USB Syntax?

On Wed, 18 Jul 2007 14:26:08 -0700, "Joel Kolstad"
wrote:

"Jim Thompson" wrote in
message ...
I want to switch a _USB_ mouse between multiple PC's.

Anyone know any tricks to fake out the unconnected PC's so they think
the mouse is there, but not sending data.

(To avoid the new hardware pop-up.)

If you're getting the "new hardware found" wizard pop-up after the first time
you plug the mouse in, you've got one cheap mouse -- they didn't bother
sticking an electronic serial number in each mouse, so Windows has no means of
"tracking" the mouse between insertions (and doesn't even try to do it
heuristically).

Anyway, I agree with Michael's suggestion -- a KVM switch is probably the
easiest way to "fake out" the PCs into thinking they still always have mice
connected. Ive have a couple of these:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817107417 ... and they
work well. Wal*Mart (at least around here) has them, so you could grab one in
Phoenix and return it easily if it doesn't work for it.

---Joel

I have the IOGear GCS124U, a 4-port device.

It works well with an old Logitech wireless mouse, but throws up on a
new one :-(

IOGear "support" is not helpful, says it's an "emulation" issue.

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |