Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic
Rich Grise Rich Grise is offline

Default LED Lead ID

On Wed, 11 Jul 2007 05:42:47 +0000, Lord Garth wrote:
"Rich Grise" wrote in message
news
I've just salvaged some LEDs - here's one:
http://mysite.verizon.net/richgrise/...-green-LED.JPG

and I'm wondering if anybody knows how to tell from the shape of the
leadframe parts, which is the cathode and anode? (I'm also rather proud
of the photo. ;-) ) Neither of my ohmmeters even makes it conduct; I'll
probably have to set up a little tester, but I thought it was kinda cool
the way the leads hold the chip and so on.

Let me know if I'm right....

I believe the cathode is the upper lead in your photo. The feature I'm
recognizing is the 'anvil' to which the die is attached.

Yup! The "anvil" side is the cathode. And it's so easy to see, I don't
even need my magic marker. ;-)

Thanks!
Rich