Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic
Spehro Pefhany Spehro Pefhany is offline

Default ESR Meter - Roll your own

On Tue, 10 Jul 2007 05:04:52 GMT, the renowned "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

lurk wrote:

thanks.....dick smith makes one but is it like the creative electronics
one ?

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message
lurk wrote:

Hey speaking about ESR ....I have a Creative Electronics ESR
meter.....and a friend would like to buy one also but it seems like the
company went out of business anybody know about them or their
product... ? or maybe a comparable product ... thanks

The schematic is online. It took all of three seconds to find it:
http://bama.edebris.com/manuals/creative/esr

http://members.ozemail.com.au/~bobpar/esrmeter.htm

No, the DSE ESR meter is dugital, and works a lot better on the low
ESR caps in switch mode power supplies. It reads from .01 ohms to 100
ohms on the digital display, and has an automatic zeroing, if the test
leads are clipped together when its turned on. I have, and use the
DSE. I've tried the Creative, but it was almost useless to troubleshoot
the CPU power supplies on computer motherboards

Isn't the DSE one basically an impedance meter though?

The Creative is analog, with all the low ESR readings cramped
together at the end of the scale.

What good/bad level are you typically looking for?

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany