Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic
Chris Jones Chris Jones is offline

Default Definition of Linearity

Jim Thompson wrote:

On Sat, 30 Jun 2007 19:48:42 +0100, Chris Jones
wrote:

Jim Thompson wrote:

I have a specification for an amplifier design that says "0.25%
linearity".

I can't seem to lay my hands on a precise definition of what that
means.

Likewise... How to calculate?

...Jim Thompson

Better ask the customer. (Even if they are not correct in their
definition, it is their definition that you need to know.)
Chris

Customer has no clue... cut and pasted from someone else's data sheet
:-(

...Jim Thompson

I guess a safe bet would be to get hold of the competitor's part, measure it
under the conditions that the customer will be using, and make sure yours
will be better. You could also see if the competitor puts a measurement
setup in their data sheet. It gets more difficult if the customer is just
selling the chips and doesn't know how they are going to be used, or what
is important about their behaviour.

Chris