Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.design
Spehro Pefhany Spehro Pefhany is offline

Default Purchase Advice Needed

On Sun, 17 Jun 2007 15:44:05 -0500, the renowned John Fields
wrote:

On Sun, 17 Jun 2007 12:47:21 -0700, John Larkin
wrote:

On Sun, 17 Jun 2007 07:35:44 -0700, JackShephard
wrote:

On Sat, 16 Jun 2007 17:55:15 -0700, John Larkin
wrote:

On Sat, 16 Jun 2007 15:38:25 -0700, Jim Thompson
wrote:

I'm pondering purchasing a new laptop... my old Vaio is absolutely
ancient, heavy, and slow (800MHz).

Specifically I'm looking at the ThinkPad X61s notebook.

Anyone experienced with this product?

Alternates?

A new Vaio!

**** Sony.

I prefer women, to be honest.

---
Sonya?

Note the "bow wave":
http://www.japannewbie.com/images/jo.../sonygirls.jpg

I just picked up a cheap Compaq consumer type laptop for a project
where I require a "transportable computer". I didn't really shop much
for it, just dropped into Best Buy an hour before closing.. a few
notes:

- HDD is of pretty decent size (160G), but despite a AMD Turion 64 X2
and 1G the machine is noticably slower than my 3 year old desktop
machine on most stuff.
- Most only come with 1G, which is pretty minimal. Some might
have the ram slots filled with low density modules, so you have
to buy 2G to get anothe 1G
- They all come with Vista only. It's a PITA (a real PITA), but
not quite as disasterous as it first seems.
- This one came with a 15.4" screen like most of the cheapish
ones, and only WXGA resolution, but I don't think my eyes are good
enough anymore for the same resolution on a 12" screen.
- a bit of a 'trick' .. all the machines on display have no
battery but when you get it home you find that the battery adds
almost an inch to the height at the back! (it sticks out so it
tilts the back up to a pleasant angle). So, it doesn't sit flat
in a briefcase. I guess maybe there's more battery life as a result.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany