Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.design
Nico Coesel Nico Coesel is offline

Default Purchase Advice Needed

Eeyore wrote:

qrk wrote:

Eeyore wrote:
Nico Coesel wrote:
Jim Thompson wrote:

I'm pondering purchasing a new laptop... my old Vaio is absolutely
ancient, heavy, and slow (800MHz).

Specifically I'm looking at the ThinkPad X61s notebook.

Whatever you buy, buy something that is being advertised as 'for
professional/business use'. Computers come in two grades: el-cheapo
consumer grade and professional/business grade. If you want a computer
that doesn't crash all the time, pay more and get the professional
version.

Would you care to elaborate on that ?

Just which components are different and what differences do they make ?

The guys I worked with always found the IBM laptops to be more rugged
than other brands. These are folks who spend 25%+ of a year on travel
to unpleasant places on the globe.

Rugged. Sure. Titanium shells etc.

Nico said most laptops are 'crappy'.

You've either misread or misunderstood that part. I never stated most
laptops are crappy. I stated -based on experience- that the cheap
consumer grade laptops are crappy and are not suitable for any serious
use. HP, Dell, Sone, Toshiba and other A brands offer both consumer
and professional laptops which are clearly identified as such on their
websites.

--
Reply to nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)