Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.design
Nico Coesel Nico Coesel is offline

Default Purchase Advice Needed

Eeyore wrote:

Nico Coesel wrote:

Eeyore wrote:

Would you care to elaborate on that ?

Just which components are different and what differences do they make ?

In consumer grade equipment usually the hardware is cheap and crappy.

Tell me who makes these crappy hard drives, memory, display contollers, LCDS,
CPUs and heck knows what else for the consumer market ?

Any manufacturor. This is a well known example from the automobile
industry: Mitsubishi and Hyundai both produced a van with an identical
diesel engine from Mitsibishi. Well, almost identical. The engine for
the Hyundai van (H100) was produced faster with less accuracy and
cheaper components. The Mitsubishi van (L200) used engines which where
produced slower and more accurate with more expensive parts. The end
result: the engine for the Hyundai usually didn't last 100kkm (62k
miles) while the engine used in the Mitsubishi vans easely lasted
300kkm (187k miles). Even though something comes out of the same
factory and looks the same doesn't mean it is the same quality.

It is like electronic components rated for commercial and industrial
temperature range. The design is the same, the die is the same, the
factory is the same, the packaging is the same and still the quality
(MTBF) is different.

Where can I buy them ?

Any computer shop around the corner.

Why would I want to ?

To 'save' money (NOT!). When I was still studying I made quite a lot
of money by taking the crappy parts out of people's computer and
replacing them with proper hardware in order to get a stable computer
system.

--
Reply to nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)