Robert Swinney

Default Thanks for the tip on the HP32 calculator!

I suppose my comments re. RPN and pomposity caused this thread to degrade
into 2 camps. I should have known that would happen. It is always easy to
attack another's position when you suspect there will be many allies. In
case my earlier assertion was, well, errrr, maybe a bit strong, let me state
it again in terms that will appeal to the majority of posters here.

Reverse Polish Notation: Method of entering math phrases into a calculating
device. The method is somewhat arcane and difficult to follow for those
with ordinary mathematical proclivities. It is, however, "very efficient"
for those with pre-existing mathematical training. Mastering RPN provides
great feelings of satisfaction, no! pride for those that learn to use it --
errrr, make that "learn to use it well". RPN savviness yields another click
on the lock of the great Math inner sanctum. In general, those that beat
their breasts about how conversant they are with RPN, remind one of the very
tired childhood phrase, "I know something you don't know".

Bob (I'll stick to AE, thank you very much) Swinney