Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic
Lord Garth Lord Garth is offline

Default HP 4500 series LCD

"A.Nonny Mouse" wrote in message
news:0Yt1i.13088$g63.8289@edtnps82...
On or about 2007-05-11 22:09, Lord Garth is reputed to have said:
Has anybody definitively identified the BOB (Blob On Board) in the

attached
photo? One forum says it is a Hitachi HD66710

(http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=761414)

After tracing the board and looking at the data sheet for the HD66710, I
can't
reconcile the chip pinout to the actual circuit. I believe the BOB has

at
least
110 pins if one begins counting vias where 78 & 79 are screened. Since

110
isn't evenly divisible by 4, I'd guess that not all the pins are brought
out.

You're assuming that the die is square. Die shape is determined by
minimizing the die area within the constraints of the layout and the
packaging. Your part could easily be a 27x28, 25x30, 20x35, 15x40, etc.
In the picture, the blob looks oblong so a rectangular die is probable
-- I'd guess at 25x30 from the shape.

The scanner didn't resolve that level of detail well enough. I am looking
at the
chip imprint within the epoxy and it does appear square.

I hope that this display is reusable but if the BOB can't be identified, it
will be
useless.