Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic
Jeff L Jeff L is offline

Default Xport teardown - Xtal.jpg

"John Larkin" wrote in message
On 6 May 2007 03:31:54 GMT, jasen wrote:

In alt.binaries.schematics.electronic, John Larkin

wrote:
This is the Lantronix Xport module.

http://www.lantronix.com/device-netw...vers/xport.htm

This particuler unit randomly, a couple of times a week maybe, draws a
lot of power and gets very hot, 80C or so, and still works, but
flakily. So we decided to rip it open and see what's inside.

I love those LEDs.

yeah, why so long, why not long leads instead?

Plastic is cheaper then metal, and plastic has the benefit of being
insulated, and not allowing the leads to touch themselves or the case. The
light flows through the plastic with very little loss.

The two chips are a Lantronix thing and an Atmel serial flash. So
there must be a heap of ram inside the Lantronix chip, enough for the
tcp/ip stack and the jvm and all that.

I note some discolouration on the corner of the lantronix chip in the
microscope photo (X9). Is that normal?

If there is local discoloration on a IC from internal heat buildup, there is
a 99.9% chance the IC is completely dead.

I think that was flux. It came off with acetone on a q-tip and the
chip isn't discolored, so that wasn't the hot spot.

Do you have an X ray machine to look at the insides of the board and to look
at the solder balls on the BGAs?

Oh, I found the clock, hiding under the connector pins.

John