Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic
John Larkin John Larkin is offline

Default Xport teardown - Xtal.jpg

On 6 May 2007 03:31:54 GMT, jasen wrote:

In alt.binaries.schematics.electronic, John Larkin wrote:
This is the Lantronix Xport module.

http://www.lantronix.com/device-netw...ers/xport.html

This particuler unit randomly, a couple of times a week maybe, draws a
lot of power and gets very hot, 80C or so, and still works, but
flakily. So we decided to rip it open and see what's inside.

I love those LEDs.

yeah, why so long, why not long leads instead?

The two chips are a Lantronix thing and an Atmel serial flash. So
there must be a heap of ram inside the Lantronix chip, enough for the
tcp/ip stack and the jvm and all that.

I note some discolouration on the corner of the lantronix chip in the
microscope photo (X9). Is that normal?

I think that was flux. It came off with acetone on a q-tip and the
chip isn't discolored, so that wasn't the hot spot.

Oh, I found the clock, hiding under the connector pins.

John

Attached Thumbnails
Xport teardown-xtal-jpg