Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic
ian field ian field is offline

Default Dumb question

"Jimmie D" wrote in message

"ian field" wrote in message

"SuperM" SuperM@ssiveBlackHoleAtTheCenterOfTheMilkyWayGala xy.org wrote
in message ...
On Tue, 24 Apr 2007 20:09:41 -0400, John Popelish
Gave us:

No Clue wrote:
But hey, that's how you learn. I have a resistor that completely
broke off
the circuit board in a guitar amp that I have. I located exactly
where it
came off but it was loose in the chassis. Here's the dumb question.
Does
it matter which way it goes back in or does a resistor work the same
in
either direction?

They work the same in either direction. The important thing
to know is why this resistor came lose. It may have
overheated enough to unsolder itself, and that is a symptom
of some other problem that may need repair.

Or the result of a very poor design.

Or lead-free solder - that would be a very plausible cause of components
falling out. Don't laugh, it does actually happen!

Worked on a piece of equipment one time where the owner had replaced some
parts. He installed the parts with Liquid Solder.or is that Plastic
Solder. Anyway when I stuck my iron to the joints they smelled like buring
plastic.

Jimmie

Years ago I saw a documentary about the early home computer industry one
company supplied the computers also as home construction kits, some guy from
that company recalled an instance someone returned a perfectly neatly
constructed kit to customer services because it didn't work - with all the
chips stuck in with Airfix glue!