ATP

Default Thanks for the tip on the HP32 calculator!

Robert Swinney wrote:
Greg sez:
Yeah, but you can no longer buy an RPN calculator that will
comfortabley fit in your pocket (except used, for big $). I really
miss the HP42S that I lost years ago. It was perfect for my needs
and nobody makes one like it now.

Hey! No problem. I was never "comfortable" with RPN all along.
IMO, RPN was developed (HP probably)
to accommodate the shortcomings of early microprocessors. It takes a
helluva lot more processing power to enter equations "the natural
way". Again, and IMO, those that became "comfortable" with RPN were
deluding themselves into thinking they were some sort of math
geniuses for doing so. On the other hand -- I assume anyone that
could be "comfortable" with the awkward back and forth motion of a
slide rule might not agree. Now, before anyone jumps on me for that
statement - I have several slide rules and know how to use them.
Expertise with a slide rule did not dupe me into learning RPN - I
chose to wait until AE came along.

Bob Swinney

I think it is more efficient for many calculations, if you can keep track of
what's on the stack. It's also fun when some engineer borrows it at a
meeting and can't figure out how to multiply two numbers.