Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic
No Clue No Clue is offline

Default Dumb question

"John Popelish" wrote in message
. ..
No Clue wrote:
"John Popelish" wrote in message
. ..
No Clue wrote:
But hey, that's how you learn. I have a resistor that completely

broke
off
the circuit board in a guitar amp that I have. I located exactly

where
it
came off but it was loose in the chassis. Here's the dumb question.

Does
it matter which way it goes back in or does a resistor work the same

in
either direction?
They work the same in either direction. The important thing
to know is why this resistor came lose. It may have
overheated enough to unsolder itself, and that is a symptom
of some other problem that may need repair.

That's exactly what's happening. After resoldering the resistor and

getting
nothing, it popped off again. So I resoldered and still nothing. I

decided
to touch the resistor and it was too hot to touch. Where would you

suggest
to look next?

I'm afraid, that without the schematic of the amp (or a good
close look at it) I could only make very low value guesses.
Have you got a good digital camera to take close up
pictures of both sides of the board it fell off of? If so,
you may post them as attachments, here. Maybe somebody will
get a clue.

I'll do that. Thanks.