Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic
ian field ian field is offline

Default Dumb question

"No Clue" wrote in message

"John Popelish" wrote in message
. ..
No Clue wrote:
But hey, that's how you learn. I have a resistor that completely

broke
off
the circuit board in a guitar amp that I have. I located exactly

where
it
came off but it was loose in the chassis. Here's the dumb question.

Does
it matter which way it goes back in or does a resistor work the same

in
either direction?

They work the same in either direction. The important thing
to know is why this resistor came lose. It may have
overheated enough to unsolder itself, and that is a symptom
of some other problem that may need repair.

Thanks John for the help. I'm almost positive it came loose from
bouncing
in my trailer. I did a gig in Houston recently and the roads there are

the
pits, and my trailer is only a single axle so it takes a beating.. I'm
surprised it didn't happen a long time ago.

Well I was hoping it would be that easy...but it wasn't. After soldering
the resistor back in, it's still DOA. I'm still getting power but no
signal
to the speaker. The amp also has an output for headphones and I'm getting
signal there. I'm also hitting about every soldering joint I can see that
looks a bit weak but still nothing.

Headphone jacks are notorious for faulty spring contact, some makes are
worse than others, if the contacts are not inside a molded socket body
they're usually easy to inspect and ensure the break contact makes when the
jack is removed and if necessary bend slightly to make the contact make
again. The molded body types can be a bit fiddly and might be easier to just
replace.