Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic
Robert Baer Robert Baer is offline

Default Variable Inductor Help

amdx wrote:

Hi,
Does the orientation of flux affect the saturation?

Please see attached picture at ABSE.
Subject: Variable Inductor Help
My thought is to build a variable inductor by installing a toroid in the gap
of a potcore. The potcore would then have near normal ungapped inductance.
However when the toroid is saturated (by turns installed on the toroid) it
would be invisible and act like a gap. Hopefully this effect could be
modulated by the amount of current through the turns on the toroid.The
problem I have is the orientation of the flux, the potcore center flux is
vertical and the toroid is horizontal. Any thoughts?

Mike

Please forgive me for a few stupid questions.

1) Why notched? Wind the torid in the standard fashion.
2) Now that there s wire on the toroid, guess what? You hav a gap in the
pot core due to that wire on the toroid.
3) Just for grins, say that wire is of zero dimensions but that one can
run enough current to saturate the toroid. Notice the toroid has a hole
in the center, which will significantly reduce the cross-sectional area
in the center, and thus reduce the Al.
4) Why not take an un-gapped pot core that has a (small) hole in the
center, and run wire thru the center, then use that winding to saturate
the pot core directly?