Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic
amdx amdx is offline

Default Variable Inductor Help

Hi,
Does the orientation of flux affect the saturation?

Please see attached picture at ABSE.
Subject: Variable Inductor Help
My thought is to build a variable inductor by installing a toroid in the gap
of a potcore. The potcore would then have near normal ungapped inductance.
However when the toroid is saturated (by turns installed on the toroid) it
would be invisible and act like a gap. Hopefully this effect could be
modulated by the amount of current through the turns on the toroid.The
problem I have is the orientation of the flux, the potcore center flux is
vertical and the toroid is horizontal. Any thoughts?

Mike

Attached Thumbnails
Variable Inductor Help-potcore-toroid-saturable-jpg-jpg