Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic
Daniel A. Thomas Daniel A. Thomas is offline

Default Yucky diode recovery. Advice ?

"Daniel A. Thomas" wrote in message

"Eeyore" wrote in message
I'm helping to sort out a piece of alleged studio recording gear that
was
somewhat thrown together by a bunch of useless idiots whose company has
now
ceased trading. It's a quasi 'replica' of some historic equipment that
once
belonged to Air Studios in Monserrat.

The latest joy (of many!) is pickup from the PSU. I was concerned about
these
spikes (see pics) that the mic amp delights in reproducing. I've never
seen
anything as bad as this before but I don't use mic transformers myself
and this
unit does, which appears to be a problem.

The ac line frequency rectifiers are 1N5404s. I simply tacked 0.1uF
across them
to see if it helped at all but it didn't. I have some UF4004s I could use
instead of them (their 1 A rating is fine in this application) but I'm
open to
other advice.

The top trace is the output of the mic amp on max gain (70dB).
The bottom trace is the ripple voltage on the (half wave) rectified
positive
supply (only on 2nd pic).

I can't figure why the spikes seem to be displaced but it's that rotten
TDS210
again and I have next to zero faith in it. Sorry about the pic quality
btw, I
didn't take them.

Graham

Hard to see with the picture quality but do you have full wave? (Xfrmr
secondaries may be out of balance.)
Try 1nf across the Xfrmr secondaries as well. John Larkins suggestions as
to rectifier selection is on the money.

That should have been 10nf!
Dan